Being the proud owner of a dog often means being slightly less proud of the state of your car, due to the accompanying chaos. In particular, their hair, dribble and muddy paws have a negative impact on the condition of the upholstery. That’s why investing in one of the best dog seat covers is a smart move.
The best dog seat covers allow you to protect your couch, your car seats and trunk from all the potential mess. Some covers are designed specifically for fitting onto one style of furniture piece, while others are more versatile and can be used in a number of different ways, making them better for moving from place to place.
There are four main dog seat cover styles to choose from. They include:
- Hammock – This is the best dog seat cover for total back car seat coverage. They cover from the headrests of your back seats all the way to the headrests on your front seats, creating a U-shaped platform for your dog. Plus, they usually feature additional flaps at either end to offer protection for your doors.
- Seat – If you’re looking to have a passenger alongside your pet in the back then it’s a good idea to use a seat cover, which instead focuses on covering a single seat. These dog seat covers can also be used to cover the passenger seat in the front, if your pooch passenger prefers to ride up front.
- Bucket – Small dogs are often most comfortable in an enclosed environment, unlike bigger dogs who enjoy more space. A bucket-style dog seat offers surrounding protection and a deeper pocket for your dog, so they can curl up and enjoy the ride. These seat covers are ideal for puppies and small breeds of dogs, such as chihuahuas.
- Cargo Liner – It makes more sense for the biggest dogs to travel in the trunk of your car. Cargo liner-style dog seat covers offer complete coverage for your trunk to create an open area better suited to large, or multiple, dogs.
The best style of dog seat cover for you depends on your dog and your car. You should consider the size of your dog, how confident it is traveling and how sturdy it is during transit as well as the size of your car and which area of it you’d like to designate for your pet.
We’ve rounded up the eight best dog seat covers available to order online. There is a range of styles and sizes available, but every option is highly durable and designed to protect your car seats from your pets for many journeys to come.
1. Active Pets Dog Back Seat Cover Protector
Proof of the quality of this Active Pets Dog Back Seat Cover Protector comes in the form of over 27,000 4.5-star customer ratings on Amazon. It features four layers of durable materials which are completed with a waterproof finish to withstand life filled with mucky paws and puddles. You’ll also find four integrated security features, including headrest anchors, seat anchors and a non-slip rubber backing to ensure it remains in place during journeys.
2. Henkelion Small Dog Car Seat
The compact, bucket-style design of the Henkelion Small Dog Car Seat makes it space-efficient and well-suited to small dogs and puppies. As a guide, only dogs up to 30 pounds should travel inside this car seat. It features ventilation panels on both sides for better in-journey airflow and includes a metal rod running around the top edge to maintain the seat’s structure. Furthermore, the seat has a small, front-mounted zip-pocket, ideal for storing the treats you might need as a good behavior bribe during transit.
3. Winner Outfitters Dog Car Seat
The Winner Outfitters Dog Car Seat sports a chunky, quilted design. It’s made from a soft yet waterproof material that provides a comfortable traveling experience for your pet. The seat also sports a nonslip net covering underneath to ensure it stays in place during transit. Additionally, this dog seat car cover can be used as either a hammock, seat cover or cargo liner by using the integrated seat anchors and snap buckles to set it up according to your needs.
4. VIEWPETS Bench Car Seat Cover
BEST FOR SEATBELT USE
The VIEWPETS Bench Car Seat Cover is a great choice for dog owners looking to accommodate both pet and people passengers. This car seat cover offers total coverage for your back seat. It also includes a seat-belt strap and buckle holes to allow passengers to safely buckle up. While the main purpose of this cover is to protect your seats from pets, it’s also great for protecting against muddy feet and particularly messy eaters.
5. F-Color SUV Cargo Liner
BEST CARGO LINER
The F-Color SUV Cargo Liner measures 55 by 91 inches, which makes it large enough to fully cover the width of an average car or compact SUV. It’s made from a four-layer thick material and has an anti-slip rubber covering on the underside to keep it in place throughout journeys. Furthermore, the stitching has been reinforced for greater durability, which is a handy feature given this liner is more likely to be used for larger, more powerful dogs.
6. OKMEE Dog Seat Car Cover
As one of the top-rated dog seat covers on Amazon, the OKMEE Dog Seat Car Cover is a proven quality product. Its scratch-proof, four-in-one design is able to transform between a hammock, a bench cover, a seat cover and a cargo liner. It also has leather patches to reinforce the attachment points, which can be used for hooking the cover around headrests. When it comes to cleaning, this dog seat cover makes life easy for you as you can wash it inside a washing machine using a laundry bag, vacuum it or simply wipe it down.
7. FAREYY Dog Car Seat
BEST FOR SMALL DOGS
Surely every small dog feels safe in the FAREYY Dog Car Seat? It has a padded cushion, backrest and walls to make it one of the most comfortable dog seat covers available. You can also choose between a range of colors to ensure it matches your car’s interior. This seat is designed for dogs up to 24 pounds and features adjustable straps to keep it securely in place. Plus, you can throw the whole thing in the washing machine when it comes to cleaning time.
8. Kurgo Dog Hammock Car Seat
If you’re only looking to cover a section of your car seat, then the Kurgo Dog Hammock Car Seat is an ideal choice. It’s great for using alongside a baby seat and is designed to reduce possible distractions while driving, as it encourages your dog to stay in one place rather than move around. To top it off, it has two large storage pockets, which are well-sized for lead and poop bags, as well as toys or other accessories you may want to keep close by.
The Best Pet Deals for July 2021: Save on Dog DNA Kits, Pet Carriers & More